Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Father's Day Cookout

**Update** This post was written a long time ago hence Hockey Playoffs. However I haven't been able to get the scrapin' done like I hoped this week. So I have decided to post my Father's Day card and gift ensemble. My dad doesn't look at my blog unless my mother shows him things, so no harm in posting it early.

So...I finally caved in and purchased my first pack of Copics!!!! We just wont tell the DH exactly how much they cost. Anyways.....while I was watching Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals I decided to start my Father's Day card (I am only posting this now, so my father didn't actually see the card before the day). This was the perfect opportunity to try out my new copics. I find that the copics actually work better than the SU Write Markers. I love how the copics allow you to blend, and the colours don't smear. So far so good, I can't wait to try using them again. My father loves BBQing so I thought I would alter the sentiment on the card to say "Father's Day Cookout". I also used a portion of the "Happy Father's Day" sentiment from PTI's Men of Life stamp set, and then added the cookout word using PTI's Simple Alphabet. The dots on the bottom are from the Men of Life stamp. I just repeated them for some balance. I don't have the new Riley BBQ stamp, so decided to use the campfire one instead. His gift includes some BBQ sauce from Buster's Barbecue in Vermillion Bay Ontario (world famous), and a Brisket BBQ salt and pepper shaker. When I saw the salt and pepper shaker I just had to get it. One of our local gift stores had a whole bunch of neat BBQ items, but my father lives in Southern Ontario...and I am in Northern Ontario, so whatever I buy needs to make the trip in the mail. So I chose something small, but still cute.
I tried to stay very masculine with the colour combination of browns and blues, and I used up some scrap lined paper and argyle ribbon. I was thinking patterns on men's ties, shirts, and sweaters when I was putting this together. Clean lines, patterns, and neutral colours. I think it turned out quite well considering I rarely make masculine cards.

A close up look at my copic colouring. I am still learning and playing around with shading and highlighting, but think I did a pretty good job for my first time working with the copics.

The famous Blueberry Buster's BBQ sauce from Vermillion Bay, Ontario. It also comes in hot, but since my mother hates anything hot and spicy I decided to give my dad the regular BBQ sauce. They also sell a spice rub, which I haven't tried yet.

These are all the copic colours I used to colour in Campfire Riley.

Ingredients:
Stamps: Hana Stamps "Campfire Riley"; PTI Men of Life; PTI Simple Alphabet
Paper: PTI Dark Chocolate ;SU Creamy Caramel; SU Whisper White; lined scrap paper
Ink: SU Chocolate Chip
Accessories: brads, copics (B); argyle ribbon; pop dots

No comments:

Post a Comment